Hungerford is an historic market town set in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. The High Street is part of the original road from London to Bath which had a considerable effect on the town's growth and development. Coaching became big business, and during the hey-day of this period the town grew and prospered, with many coaching inns around the town, as well as stables and blacksmiths.
The Town Hall and Corn Exchange date from 1870, and stand in the heart of the town and market place.There are many Tudor timber-frame buildings, several of which were 'modernised' by the addition of new Georgian frontages. From grand Georgian architecture to simple cottages the High Street has a wealth of period architecture. Numbers 26-27, Hungerford Arcade probably dates from the 16th century. It has a four-gabled frontage of most irregular symmetry, and original mullioned and transomed wooden casements with leaded lights which date from the mid-17th century.